Sunday, May 18, 2014

A Sacred Journey Begins



For 7 years, I have practiced the sacred practice of Kundalini Yoga. I happened upon it by accident one day when I was searching for new and exciting DVDs to spice up my home practice. After practicing hatha and ashtagna yoga for 7 years prior to beginning my Kundalini journey, I was searching for something...well...different, but still yoga nonetheless. One day while browsing the yoga DVD inventory on Amazon, I came across this DVD called "Fat Free Yoga: Lose Weight & Feel Great" by Ravi Singh and Ana Brett. I immediately knew I had to make a purchase. After all, what mid-twenties woman doesn't want to lose weight and feel great? What did I have to lose? At the time, I had no idea how much this DVD would really change my life.

The first time I tried this DVD, I was blown away. Not only was the instruction given in a very soothing, yet encouraging way, it was also beautifully poetic. The writer in me was immediately captivated. Who knew explaining the benefits of a pose (kriya) could be done in such a creatively eloquent fashion? Ravi Singh has the heart of a poet, and his narration showcases this. I found that his creative expression was contagious; I found myself journaling more after beginning this practice. Something huge was definitely beginning to stir in my soul.

Never before in all my years of yoga had I ever felt more clear and simply refreshed after practice. I've felt the bliss that comes with being in final savasana plenty of times, but this time, it was different. I felt so anchored in my body, and everything around me seemed so much more vibrant. I felt this delicious hum in my body, and seriously felt like I could run a marathon without stopping. Needless to say, I was hooked.

After a solid month's practice, I lost weight and was feeling great. I had no idea at the time what Kundalini yoga was, but after my first month of doing it, I knew that this was my yoga. The research geek in me took over and I began reading about this amazing practice and its benefits. I really appreciated that this practice worked on bringing balance from the inside out, namely working on the endocrine system to bring overall balance to the entire body.

After a few months of Kundalini bliss, I decided to venture out and try another one of Ravi and Ana's DVDs called "Yoga Bliss Hips - Kundalini Yoga for Hip Opening & Mood Mastery". As someone who has always suffered from chronically tight hips, this one really appealed to me. I was definitely not disappointed! Since having a job which required me to sit in front of a computer, this practice that balanced hip-opening with chest-opening really helped bring more openness to my upper body, which was not expected. And the posture where you are asked to just spontaneously begin laughing was awesome. I started off a little hesitant, but by the time we were done, I was laughing so hard I had a side cramp. All in all, I found this particular DVD to be very stress-relieving and it quickly became my go-to for the rough days.

Fast forwarding to present time, I am now anxiously awaiting beginning Teacher Training with Ravi and Ana on May 23rd. I know that taking this training will not only deepen my practice and my relationship with my soul, but it will also help deepen my healing practices. Since practicing Kundalini yoga, my Reiki & massage practice has taken on new depths and I've found myself able to be more present during each session in a way I was unable to be before. It's helped me listen to my client's bodies more efficiently. I feel as a result, I am able to give more effective healing sessions to my clients.

I am confident that part of my path is teaching others how to bring healing to themselves, and after solidly practicing Kundalini for 7 years and garnering it's benefits firsthand, I know this is the perfect modality in which to help facilitate that sacred space for my clients. I am honored to be on this path, and I am excited to share this journey with you all via this blog. Sat nam!

If you are interested in partaking in this incredible journey, please contact me directly at czhmassage@yahoo.com for more information. There are still slots available!  Also, check out Ravi & Ana's website for more information on their DVDs.  www.raviana.com

No comments:

Post a Comment